S H E R M A N P T A N E W S L E T T E R
Hello Sherman Families –
We hope to see you all at the fun events at Sherman this week, including the Winter Extravaganza and Bazaar, details below.
Just a friendly reminder that Winter Break starts NEXT week and there will be no school December 19 – Jan 2.
Enjoy the holidays!
The Sherman PTA
—> HAPPENING THIS WEEK
- Dec 13: Author Kathryn Otoshi’s visits Sherman
We’re so lucky to have Author of our Sherman Books of the Month “One” & “Zero” visit our school this Tuesday. She will be presenting her new book “Simon and the Sock Monster” The schedule will be as follows:
- 8:15 – 9:15 3rd – 5th
- 9:30 – 10:15 K – 2
- Dec 13: Winter Extravaganza
Mark your calendars for this musical treat, starting with GLO performances at 4 PM and performances by classroom starting at approximately 6PM.
Also, Roam is donating a % of sales to Sherman starting at 2PM same day 12/13, so conveniently located a block away for dinner before or after the show!
- Dec 15: Deadline for submissions to Martin Luther King, Jr. Essay and Poster Contest
For complete details please see SharkNet: http://sharknet.shermanschool.org/sherman/wiki.cgi/WritingPosterContest
High level details on what’s involved:
Essay: What does treating people equally mean? Describe some examples of people not being treated equally? What would you do at school to encourage your classmates to treat everyone equally?
ELEMENTARY SCHOOL PRIZES in addition to trophies (Special K-1st grade award $25 if winner selected)
Poster Theme: Create a poster that encourages students in your school to practice equality toward others or create a poster that shows what a world without equality looks like and what a world with equality looks like. There will be two SFUSD Elementary School Winners! Each Elementary winner will receive a trophy certificate and $25.00.
- Dec 15: The Winter Bazaar is HERE!!!
VOLUNTEERS STILL NEEDED FOR WINTER BAZAAR!
à Wed, 12/14, 6PM (or whenever you can get there). Sort Bazaar items and set up the sales tables. Pizza provided.
à Thu, 12/15, 10-1PM: Staff a sales table. 1 hour increments. 12-1 especially in need!
Winter Bazaar Classroom Sale Schedule
8:35-9:05 1st Grades
9:15-9:30 Recess K-5
9:35-9:55 2nd Grades
10:00-10:20 3rd Grades
10:25-10:45 4th Grades
10:50-11:10 5th Grades
11:20-12:00 Lunch/Adult shopping
12:00-12:25 4th/5th Grade 2nd round
12:25-12:45 2nd/3rd Grade 2nd round
12:45-1:05 K/1st grade revisits
1:05-1:50 Bazaar closes/clean up
Take a look at SharkNet to see where you can give an hour or so. http://sharknet.shermanschool.org/sherman/wiki.cgi/WinterBazaar
- Dec 16: Special Assemblies
- 10:30 – 11:15 After-school plays
- 12:00 4th / 5th grade poetry slam
- LAST DAYS for the Holiday Food Drive!!! Closes 12/16…
Sherman is once again participating in a holiday food drive to help families in need. Watch for bins in the hallway and bring in a can or two (or ten) to help show Sherman’s support of our extended community. Many thanks to Ms. Dobay for organizing.
- Annual Fund is UNDERWAY!!!
COLD? Donate to the Annual Fund and grab a beanie thanks to Kindergarten parents Denise and Bill Wells. These stylish beanies are available while supplies last to folks donating to the Sherman Annual Fund!
How about a nice bottle of wine for the holidays? Those who have donated to the Annual Fund will be eligible for the last wine drawing this Friday, December 16th at morning assembly, thanks to Andrea and Kevin Joe! Donate now and you’ll be entered for the drawing this Friday!
Go to: http://sharknet.shermanschool.org/sherman/wiki.cgi/FundraisingCommittee#annual_fund for information and online giving. See Courtney Damkroger firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
—> NEXT WEEK AND BEYOND
- Dec 19 – Jan 2: NO SCHOOL, Winter Holiday Break
- Jan 7: Sherman Parent Teacher Social, 6PM
Join us for the Parent and Teacher Potluck Social on January 7, 2012 at 6pm at the home of Holly Carver and Kris Van Giesen. Come relax and mingle with Sherman parents and teachers and celebrate the New Year. More details to come. Please RSVP with Pam Low at email@example.com. Please bring a dish and beverage of your choice to share. Sign ups for food and drinks will be posted on Sharknet. Start looking for your babysitters now. Holly and Kris live at 1322 Baker Street (between Geary and Post. There is on-street parking or you can park for free in the Kaiser lot located on the north side of Geary between Baker and Broderick.
- Jan 10: Special Screening of “Including Samuel”, 6-9PM
The Sherman community is invited to attend a FREE screening of “Including Samuel” from 6-9 PM at the Aquarium of the Bay Theater at Fisherman’s Wharf. This is a film about including people with disabilities. More details can be found at www.includingsamuel.com/about/about-the-film.aspx.
- Report Cards
Report cards can be expected January 16th. Report cards will not be received before Winter Break this year. Teachers will be completing reading level assessments upon return from break, and would like to include this information in the next round of report cards.
- FUTURE Events
All future Sherman events can be found on our Google calendar: http://sharknet.shermanschool.org/sherman/wiki.cgi/SchoolCalendarPage
—> CAN YOU HELP?
- A friendly request from Sherman’s Green Team: If your classroom is hosting a holiday party this week, please help your teacher to separate waste into compost, recyclables, and landfill. Three separate bags and a trip to the Garden’s waste area is all it takes! And don’t forget to help out teachers and our children’s health by limiting the amount of sugar (example: avoid juice boxes which also add to landfill). Happy Holidays!
- Auction Volunteers! If you missed the Sherman Auction kick off (including the Children’s Art and Procurement kickoffs) and are interested in participating, please contact Shandra Rica-McHale at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our SharkNet page here for more details: http://sharknet.shermanschool.org/sherman/wiki.cgi/2012AuctionPage
- Beyond what may be listed above, the latest volunteer needs and sign-ups can be found here:http://sharknet.shermanschool.org/sherman/wiki.cgi/VolunteerSherman
—> OTHER COMMUNITY NEWS
- PTA Board Member Changes. The Board would like to welcome Gaylen Kimbell who has been confirmed as Parliamentarian to start January 2012. Current PTA Board Parliamentarian, Leila Langlois, is heading to London with her family and we would like to say thank you for all she and her family has done for Sherman to date! We look forward to seeing them back soon!
- GLO Afterschool Classes. Afterschool classes coordinated by GLO (2-3pm) has posted flier describing the classes and the enrollment form available on SharkNet. The 8 week session is from 1/10/12 – 3/1/12. Includes Yoga, Spanish, Tree Frog Teks, Guitar, Martial Arts, Chess, Cartoon Drawing. http://sharknet.shermanschool.org/sherman/wiki.cgi/GloPage
- Miss the Teacher’s College Parent Training last week? For those that missed the Teachers’ College Parent Training this past week, check out SharkNet’s Parenting & Advocacy section on the PTA Info Page to download the PowerPoint presentation for helpful hints and resources on becoming a reading partner with your child. http://sharknet.shermanschool.org/sherman/wiki.cgi/ParentTeacherAssociation#parenting_and_advocacy
- Drop-off area extended! The SF Municipal Transportation Agency approved the request for extension of our Union St passenger loading zone by three parking spaces to the west during pick-up and drop-off hours. This will aid in improving the traffic flow during drop-off and pick-up hours and the safety of our students. Many thanks to Sherman parents Nina Paolucci, Nancy Kirshner-Rodriguez, Leiasa Beckham, Melissa Mountain and to Principal Shenkan-Rich for making this a reality.
- Exciting offer from DonorsChoose.org: Starting this minute, when someone makes a donation to your projects and enters the match code SPARK, they’ll be matched dollar for dollar by our Board of Directors! Get started today:
- Donors must enter SPARK during check-out where it says “I have a gift or match code” – and voila! The donation is automatically doubled.
- If you don’t have a project listed, friends and family can still send you a DonorsChoose.org gift card – we’ll match the gift card and send you double the funds!
- Some restrictions apply for the match code, so read the full details on our website.
- Donations paid for by check, gift card (including Groupons), or DonorsChoose.org account credits are NOT eligible to be matched. Any donation made with a credit card (including payments via PayPal or Amazon Payments), using the match code, will be matched.
- Before you buy your child a new winter coat, check for their old one in Sherman’s LOST AND FOUND. The items in the Lost & Found are multiplying at an alarming rate. There are jackets galore, as well as hats, a few pair of pants, headbands, plastic lunch containers, lunch bags and likely a few other odds and ends. We would like to get as much as we can claimed and back with their rightful owners! If you have not labeled your children’s clothing, backpacks, lunch bags, shirts and pants, please do not forget to do so.
—> “EASY” FUNDRAISING
- Holidays? Gift Giving? Shop for the Holidays through the Sherman School website! It earns us money and it’s easy for you! Go to shermanschool.org, upper right hand corner of the website click on Sherman Shopper and go to it! Make holiday shopping a breeze for you and a money earner for your children!
—> NEWSLETTER FEEDBACK
Have feedback on this newsletter? Please email Shandra McHale, PTA Communications VP (email@example.com).